Author Topic: The future of consumer distributer etiquette  (Read 310 times)

Koneko-chan

• Sr. Member [Operator]
The future of consumer distributer etiquette
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
So I've been playing around with this thought for a while since I work at Walgreens and go to school. So as an employee it's my job to greet customers and make sure they find everything alright to ensure their happiness and continued patronage and since I don't know everyone in the worlds name I refer to people as sir or mam as it would seem impolite to refer to them as you or person and not giving them some form of identification makes me seem informal as such I judge what to refer to them as by physical appearance. The reason I have any concern at all is because if any teacher at my school were to do this the student could easily get them in trouble or simply mock them using the statement "did you just assume my gender!?" the issue is mostly the these are basically adults talking to other adults some which are only a few years older than them. As an advocate for LGBT rights I hate the idea of offending someone by doing that but my fear rests in the idea that these people are almost adult and are soon gonna be major consumers, adults talking to adults. If this next generation of consumers can't grow up I'm worried it could have a negitive affect on trans men and women marking them as a joke and could also change the consumers distributer dynamic for better or worse for all I know it could improve the dynamic by putting more people on a name to name basis but it could also hurt it making transactions less of a connection and more of just an exchange between two strangers. Out of curioity I'd love to here some of your guys' thoughts on this wether it's just some small local concern or if it could actually have some substance.

Drooby

• Full Member [Admin]
  • Scooby dooby doo~
Re: The future of consumer distributer etiquette
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:33:06 PM »
Honestly, I don't think the problem with this is people labeling others, it's the fact that people get offended way too easily. There's no way that if you just met someone you'd know that they're transgender right off the bat, especially since many don't actually go through any huge transformation surgery or anything to look like their gender.

It's customary to refer to someone as sir or ma'am. It's POLITE. I don't know why someone would get offended at that. I mean, let's be honest here...Cryo is one of the most politically incorrect people we know, and you don't get offended when he makes a mistake like that. I think people should be less uptight, i don't know. I just can't imagine someone getting offended at that, it's just a natural thing.

However, I think it is correct to refer to someone as sir or ma'am by what they identify as if you already know them. But that's pretty obvious, right? Idk.

Dwagen

• The Final Judge
  • Hero Member [Minigame Master]
  • Leave me alone! Poor bastards shant be messed with
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »
I agree with Drooby on this one. Now, all of you know my stance on words, so I dont expect to be taken seriously, but people ARE offended way to easily. In terms of trans people becoming a joke, they will be. Thats not me being rude, im just saying that almost EVERYTHING will become a joke with time. Heck, if I had a dollar for every 9/11 joke or holocaust joke I laughed at, I would have my internet back on. It really SHOULDNT have an effect on anybodys actual views on trans people.
Life is nothing more than a series of choices where your skill level causes the outcome to vary.

Cryoraptor

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:55:10 PM »
Yeah this generation turned out to be a bust in a lot of ways.  Most people can tell the difference between a man and a women because really that's all there is.  As Milo Yiannopolis stated, there are three genders man, women and retarded.  If I wasn't working I would probably laugh in their face about their "problem" because I really don't give a flying fuck what of the 37 genders they think they are.  There are only two.  In school you pay to be there and the little children want to be held and loved because they were indoctrinated since five years of age.  I'm curious to see how the instructor avoids this clearly serious "problem".  People love to complicate things more than they need to be.  If you want to do that to yourself, I don't recommend it.  If someone gives your teacher a hard time about gender identity, I recommend you defend the instructor and explain the truth.  You can still attempt to use gender neutral terms but I wouldn't unless you are really forced to.  In that case I would explain to your employer the truth.  That you are doing more harm than good, labels don't help anyone and only serve as early judgments because people are lazy fucks anymore.  I often say "boss" if I give them a title or just leave out sir or maam all together.  Even though I do use sir or maam frequently I never had an issue.  If an issue comes up with a customer than just do what you usually do when you make a mistake, roll your eyes and explain to your hopefully sane coworkers and friends how retarded this world has become to maintain your sanity.  If your employer gives you a hard time make it clear publicly that their company is a politically correct piece of shit to as many people as you can including them and find another employer that isn't a globalist scumbag.

Drooby

• Full Member [Admin]
  • Scooby dooby doo~
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
Yeah this generation turned out to be a bust in a lot of ways.  Most people can tell the difference between a man and a women because really that's all there is.  As Milo Yiannopolis stated, there are three genders man, women and retarded.  If I wasn't working I would probably laugh in their face about their "problem" because I really don't give a flying fuck what of the 37 genders they think they are.  There are only two.  In school you pay to be there and the little children want to be held and loved because they were indoctrinated since five years of age.  I'm curious to see how the instructor avoids this clearly serious "problem".  People love to complicate things more than they need to be.  If you want to do that to yourself, I don't recommend it.  If someone gives your teacher a hard time about gender identity, I recommend you defend the instructor and explain the truth.  You can still attempt to use gender neutral terms but I wouldn't unless you are really forced to.  In that case I would explain to your employer the truth.  That you are doing more harm than good, labels don't help anyone and only serve as early judgments because people are lazy fucks anymore.  I often say "boss" if I give them a title or just leave out sir or maam all together.  Even though I do use sir or maam frequently I never had an issue.  If an issue comes up with a customer than just do what you usually do when you make a mistake, roll your eyes and explain to your hopefully sane coworkers and friends how retarded this world has become to maintain your sanity.  If your employer gives you a hard time make it clear publicly that their company is a politically correct piece of shit to as many people as you can including them and find another employer that isn't a globalist scumbag.
What I was really trying to explain to Koneko is that it's nobody's fault if you "misgender" someone. However, it's still good to be polite and at least say "sorry" if whoever does that corrects you. I don't recommend rolling your eyes or getting mad at them and talking trash or calling out your employer. It honestly doesn't need to go that far.